Google launched an interesting new tool today – Google Buzz. Google Buzz is Google’s way to help you connect and engage with the people in your social circles.
Sort of like Facebook, but built right into Gmail. And it turns out there is a huge mobile and local component to it.
Using Buzz on Mobile Devices
When using Buzz on mobile devices like iPhone or Android, it:
- Uses your location to identify places around you.
- Allows you to create messages based on your location (kind of like Foursquare, Gowalla or Yelp)
- Adds a Buzz layer to Google Maps on your device, where you can post public comments or photos. Perhaps most interesting is you can visit a Place Page for a local business and see what others are “buzzing” about there.
- Voice shortcut – this is pretty cool. It allows you to post buzz without even typing anything when you say “post buzz” followed by your post.
Small Businesses Could Leverage Influential Buzzers to promote their site
Social media strategist Jeremiah Owyang mentioned something interesting in his Quick Take on Google Buzz:
…or small busineses and retailers, this will impact their search engine results pages, as a single top ‘buzzer’ could cause their content to be very relevant, if that person was relevant, then their influential content could show at top of SERP pages.
If you could get “top buzzers” buzzing about your business… This would be cool in a couple of ways – updates from a top “buzzer” would show up in their activity stream on their Google Profile, and also on your business Place Page.
And nearby people who are in Google Buzz on their mobile devices would see the activity about your business on the new “Buzz Layer” in Google Maps too.
Take Aways for Local Businesses
Here’s what I think every local business should be doing to take advantage of this:
- Claim your Google Local Business Center Profile if you haven’t already!
- Add photos and other details about your business so that your Place Page looks sweet. Make sure to get some online reviews too.
- Set up your Google Profile, and find and connect with “Buzzers” in your area!
Google Buzz for Mobile – Video
What do you think about Google Buzz? Is this huge for local businesses or will it be ignored?
See my disclosure about advertising and affiliate links