A lot of small business owners are asking themselves the same question – should I have a blog for my business?
My answer is an emphatic YES – you absolutely need a blog. Here’s why:
Having a static website for your business just isn’t enough if you want to rank well in the search results for your profession and area today.
Google is looking for websites with original content that are updated frequently. Google is also looking for content that other people are engaging with, in the form of comments, and sharing on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
The Benefits of Blogging
Websites with blogs get about 7x more traffic than websites without blogs. Here’s why:
- More traffic – Websites with Blogs get more traffic because they are updated more frequently, and easier for your readers to interact with. This provides more unique content for Google and Bing search engines to crawl, and qualifies you for more search results on more keyword terms.
- Easy to update – Blogs are easier to update than websites. This solves the #1 frustration I hear from business owners – they can’t update their website. Most blogs provide a rich text editor, much like Microsoft Word. So updating your blog is a familiar and easy experience.
- Engage your audience – Studies show that people trust Blogs more than websites. People leave comments, tend to share blog posts more, especially if you make it easy for them with social sharing plugins like Digg Digg and others.
- Ping the search engines – Blogs like WordPress ping the search engines every time you post new content, inviting them to come back and crawl your site.
Read more about these benefits in this article: Why Use WordPress for Your Business Website?
Concerns About Blogging
At this point, maybe you’re into the idea of getting a blog for your business. But you probably have some good concerns about it too.
Here are some of the common concerns about blogging that people share with me:
- I’m too busy to write a blog. Most business owners are not looking for yet another thing to do. But good business owners also realize that they don’t have to do everything themselves. As the subject matter expert, you can outline the ideas for the blog and hire a writer to write and publish the posts for you.
- What do I write about? – This is a good concern, but easy to answer. You already know your customers well. For content ideas, just start by thinking of the common questions your customers have for you. You can even interview some of your best customers. You’ll come up with tons of “frequently asked questions” or concerns your customers initially had. Write about them. Because these are the questions that your new customers are struggling with too.
- My customers won’t read my blog… You’re probably right. Your customers may not be waiting with bated breath for your next blog post. But that’s OK. Because prospective new customers are out there searching in Google right now, and they are going to come across your content because it answers some key questions about your product or service.
- I don’t know how to blog… Ok, this is another good one. We don’t all live in Silicon Valley working on computers every day. But the good news is there are many very good Blogging tools out there that make it really easy to do, and many writers out there who will do it for you inexpensively.
Many of the top SEOs that I know will not even work with a client that doesn’t commit to a content strategy and a blog. Because they know it will be a lot harder to get that client’s website to rank well in the search engines without it.
So How Do You Get A Blog for Your Website?
The #1 Blogging platform out there is WordPress. WordPress is used by 15% of the sites on the Internet. And even Google has said that WordPress is a good option for small businesses.
If you already have an existing website, you can add a blog pretty easily. If your website is new, there are many inexpensive hosting options that make installing and using WordPress effortless.
We like WordPress so much for the small businesses we’ve worked with, that we have created our own theme to integrate your website, Blog, Facebook Page and Mobile website all in one. It’s called the SmallBiz WordPress theme. You can learn more about it here.
Q:What about you – what is your top question or concern? Are you going to add a blog to your business website? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
If you're building a business website these days, you're in luck.
WordPress has revolutionized the ease and power of what a website can do and be. Now you can quickly create a website that is optimized for top search results, and update it yourself whenever you want.
As you'll see in a moment, the SmallBiz Theme is much more than a mere WordPress theme. It's a complete solution for your business web presence including a Website, Blog, Facebook Page and Mobile Website.
Let's take a look at each of these, and how they help you generate new business from the web…Click to continue...
See my disclosure about advertising and affiliate links