Brian Prows from MobileBeyond.com interviewed me a few weeks ago about the trend to mobile devices and why small businesses need a mobile solution. Click here to read the complete transcript.
We talked about many aspects of small business marketing in the podcast, but in case you don’t have time to listen to the interview, here are the highlights about mobile websites:
The Mobile Landscape
- Mobile visitors are goal oriented - People who visit your website from a mobile device are very “goal oriented”. They view less pages and spend less time than their desktop counterparts. Mobile users are pulling up your site to look for something specific like phone number, directions, or business hours. So you have to put that information front-and-center and you need a mobile specific page.
- Mobile overtakes desktop - Research shows that more people in the coming year will access the web via a mobile device than a desktop machine. That’s a huge opportunity for a small business to get an edge on competition and an opportunity for web developers to offer solutions.
- Small Businesses are missing out – 85% of small businesses do not have a solution for mobile.
What Does “Mobile First” Mean?
- Start with Mobile - When you build a new product or a service, you build the mobile site first and develop for other devices later. It’s easier to expand your website or app based on larger screens than it is to shrink your app down to fit mobile displays.
- Device Specific Pages - Small businesses need a page that’s formatted just for mobile devices. In two seconds, a viewer needs to know who you are, where you are, and how to contact you. Mobile visitors are quickly becoming the majority, so don’t put your visitors into “Pinch and Zoom Hell” while they’re trying to find you while they are on the go!
- Mobile is here now. We’re seeing it all around us. On the street and from the comfort of home people are using their mobile devices to find a place for dinner, check out shopping reviews or find a map. Businesses need to have a website ready to display on any number of devices like iPhones, Androids, Windows Phone, iPad, etc. Mobile is something that every business should be thinking about and needs to address today, not tomorrow.
You can download or listen to the entire podcast here. (We talk about “Mobile First” around the 15:00 mark.)
How are you addressing this mobile shift on the web? I’d love to hear what you are doing in the comments below!
If so, please join over 10,000 people who receive exclusive weekly online business and blogging tips, and get a FREE COPY of my eBook, 10 Steps to Free Website Traffic! Just enter your name and email below:
If you're building a business website these days, you're in luck.
WordPress has revolutionized the ease and power of what a website can do and be. Now you can quickly create a website that is optimized for top search results, and update it yourself whenever you want.
As you'll see in a moment, the SmallBiz Theme is much more than a mere WordPress theme. It's a complete solution for your business web presence including a Website, Blog, Facebook Page and Mobile Website.
Let's take a look at each of these, and how they help you generate new business from the web…Click to continue...
See my disclosure about advertising and affiliate links