I love to read. One book that has had a big impact on my life and my business is The Innovation Secrets of Steve Jobs by Carmine Gallo
Carmine Gallo is a communications coach who has been studying Apple and Steve Jobs for years. In this book, he did a particularly good job of studying Steve Jobs and identifying what makes Steve, and Apple great. Reading this book allows you to answer the question “What would Steve do?” for almost any business situation.
My Video Review
Whenever I read a good book, I have a method for remembering the key points from it. I use a method called “Tag, Cliff and Review”, and I look for a few key things:
The Big Idea
What is the “big idea” that the author is trying to convey in the book? In this book, I think the big idea was this: Having a clear, concise vision for yourself or your company is the key to innovation and success.
7 Principles That Drive Steve Jobs
In Innovation Secrets, the author distilled what he sees as the 7 principles that drive Steve Jobs. He then went into detail on each of them with specific insights and examples.
- Do What You Love – “Don’t Settle!”
- Put a Dent in the Universe – See over the horizon. Do something great.
- Kick Start Your Brain – Innovators question, experiment, network and observe across many disciplines.
- Sell Dreams, Not Products – Talk about the change your product will make, what it will allow people to do, not the features.
- Say “No” to 1000 Things – “Get rid of the crappy stuff and focus on the good stuff.”
- Create Insanely Great Experiences – Change people’s expectations of what a great experience can be. Think about how Apple changed the experience you have with your cell phone, or with their retail stores.
- Master the Message – Use elements of a good story, and consistent delivery of your message.
I go into a little more detail on each of these in the video book review.
I also like to pull quotes from the book that I want to remember, or maybe use in a presentation sometime. Here are a few of the quotes that stood out for me in this book:
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” – Steve Jobs
- “We are artists, not engineers.” – Steve Jobs
- “We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anybody, and produce bland, inoffensive products.” – Jonathan Ive
- “People don’t want to buy personal computers any more. They want to know what they can do with them, and we’re going to show them exactly that.” – Steve Jobs
Believe me, there are many more great quotes in this book!
Vision vs Mission Statement
I mentioned that having a crisp, concise vision is one of the key messages of the book that stood out for me. Carmine goes into detail about this. We’ve all worked somewhere and heard the corporate mission statement full of buzzwords that nobody can remember. But how is this “vision” that he talks about different?
A Mission Statement answers the question – what you will make? They are typically long, convoluted and filled with corporate speak.
Your vision is a picture of a better world that your product or service makes possible.
To be a good vision, it must be Specific, Concise and Consistent. Here are a few notable examples of good vision statements:
Apple: “To put computers into the hands of everyday people.”
Google: “To provide access to the world’s information in one click.”
President Kennedy: “Land a man on the moon and return him safely by the end of the decade.”
Wow. Short. To the point. And powerful.
How did this book change what I do? I was really inspired by this definition of a clear, concise vision and spent the time to think through and write down my vision for Expand2Web. This has become our guiding principle now for products, customer service, and making key decisions about our business.
I hope you decide to read this book, and enjoy it as much as I did!
If so, please join over 10,000 people who receive exclusive weekly online business and blogging tips, and get a FREE COPY of my eBook, 10 Steps to Free Website Traffic! Just enter your name and email below:
If you're building a business website these days, you're in luck.
WordPress has revolutionized the ease and power of what a website can do and be. Now you can quickly create a website that is optimized for top search results, and update it yourself whenever you want.
As you'll see in a moment, the SmallBiz Theme is much more than a mere WordPress theme. It's a complete solution for your business web presence including a Website, Blog, Facebook Page and Mobile Website.
Let's take a look at each of these, and how they help you generate new business from the web…Click to continue...
See my disclosure about advertising and affiliate links